SKSE64 is a short form of Skyrim Script Extender 64 – it’s a modding tool that works as a vital component of the Skyrim Special Edition games. It is very much famous in the gaming world and is what’s being utilized to develop some special mods of the game.
This modding tool is needed for the formulation of intricate mods during the gaming session. But, it’s not free from technical glitches like everything – several users have lodged a complaint about SKSE64 not working.
Most of the time, SKSE 64 not working issue arises after updating the game to its latest version. A few users come across a blank screen while trying to reopen the game, others can’t launch the game at all.
This has a frustrating situation for a lot of gamers. If you are also stuck with the same issue, then this guide can help you a lot. Here, we are about to discuss some possible causes along with their appropriate solutions that can help you to get rid of this issue with ease.
What are the Causes Behind SKSE64 not working?
Before going to discuss the solutions, you should look into the causes due to which the SKSE64 won’t launch issue arises. There are several causes behind this error, some of the most common reasons are as follows:
- Updates: If you have updated the game recently, then outdated Skyrim script extender will no longer work with the advanced version. It is essential to keep the version of the skse64 app and game the same to work properly.
- Firewall: Sometimes, Windows Firewall also may block some elements of the game from obtaining contact with the servers. It also results in SKSE64 not launching issue.
- Windows Defender/Antivirus: According to some tech experts, antivirus software or Windows Defender installed on your computer also can block the game or skse64 to run. If this is the cause, then the antivirus program or Windows Defender will show a false alarm as dangerous, and therefore the game will stop launching.
- Faulty Mods: Faulty mods also might be the reason behind this error. There are some Mods that may create a problem with the game. Usually, it happens when the game updates an older version of Mods. Mostly, the Mods developers introduce the latest Mods version after providing the latest game updates.
Now, you are aware of the probable reasons behind this error. Hence, you can take a glance at the solutions.
4 Solutions to Troubleshoot SKSE64 Not Launching Issue
Before applying the below troubleshooting steps, you can restart your computer once. Sometimes, a simple restart can solve a lot of issues as it will refresh the OS and also remove the corrupted data from the system. So, let’s have a try and if it doesn’t solve your problem, you can try the solutions described below:
Fix 1: Grant Firewall Access
As we mentioned earlier, sometimes, Windows Firewall blocks some components of the game and prevents it from contacting the servers. Then, you may face the SKSE64 loader not working issue. If this is the case, then you can add an allowance for the game in the Windows firewall. To do this, you can perform the steps given below:
- First of all, go to the Start Menu. Click on the gear-shaped Settings icon to open it. Then, go to the ‘Updates & Security’ category.
- Go to the left pane of the screen and click on the ‘Windows Security’ button. Afterward, tap on the ‘Firewall & Network Protection’ option.
- Next, click on the ‘Allow an application through firewall’ option and then tap on the ‘Change Settings’ option in order to grant the required access.
- Allow ‘Skyrim’ and allow all of its related apps through both ‘Private’ and ‘Public’ networks. You will have to ensure that you also allow ‘Steam’.
- Lastly, tap on the OK button to apply the changes.
After doing this, close the Setting Window. Thereafter, try to run the game to check whether the SKSE64 not working issue is resolved or not. Else, you should try further solutions described below.
Fix 2: Allow Skyrim through the Antivirus Software or Windows Defender
The antivirus program or Windows Defender also may block the game or SKSE64 and can cause the SKSE64 loader not working issue. If you are facing any alarms from the antivirus software or Windows Defender, then you can add an exclusion to the Windows Defender to solve this issue. For this, you can perform the steps as follows:
- In the beginning, navigate to the Start menu and open Settings by clicking on the Settings (gear-shaped) button.
- Once it opens the Settings window, go to the ‘Updates & Security’ category and click on the ‘Windows Security’ option from the left pane of the screen.
- Afterward, tap on the ‘Virus and threat protection’ option from the next page. Then, go to the ‘Virus & Threat Protection Settings’ pane and click on the ‘Manage Settings’ button.
- Scroll down the page until you get the ‘Exclusions’ option. Once you get that, tap on the ‘Add or Remove an Exclusion’ option.
- Next, choose the ‘Add an Exclusion’ from the next page and then click on the ‘Folder’ option.
- Add the installation folder of Skyrim to this folder. (If you have an antivirus program installed on the system, then you will have to ensure that you have disabled it or added an exclusion to the folder.)
Exit from the Settings window and restart the computer to save the changes. Now, try to launch the game to see if the SKSE64 not working issue still persists. If you see that the problem is solved, then it’s Ok – otherwise, you can perform the other hacks discussed below.
Fix 3: Roll Back the Game to its Earlier Version
Sometimes, the SKSE64 doesn’t work with the most advanced version of the game. Most of the time, developers provided the SKSE64 updates. But, in case it hasn’t yet, then you should try to go back to the older version of the game. To roll back the game to its previous version, you can follow the steps mentioned below:
First, visit the official website of steamdb. Then, go to the search box and type “Skyrim”. Press the Enter key from the keyboard to search for it.
On the next page, you will see the APPID number before the ‘The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim’ listings. Note down the number showing on the screen. Afterward, tap on the number. It will drive you to the next page. There you will get the ‘Depot’ option. Click on it.
Next, write down the ‘ID’ number showing near the ‘Skyrim Special Edition exe’ option. Open a new page by clicking on the number. After that, tap on the Manifests button. Note the number that is older than the release date of the new update.
Thereafter, right-click on the shortcut icon of the Steam launcher located on your desktop. Then, choose the Properties option from the list. In the next screen, type “-console” in a particular box without any space. Make sure you have typed it after the previously written text ends.
Now, apply the changes and launch the steam through the shortcut and then tap on the Console button. After that, type “download-depot” in the Console field. Here, you will have to mention the Manifest id number, Depot Id number, and App Id number. Press the Enter key from the keyboard and go to the next step.
Next, the folder where the previous version is being loaded will be shown in front of you. Once you complete the downloading process, open that folder. Then, select and copy the executable downloaded file.
Paste the files in the game installation folder. Lastly, select the ‘Copy and Replace’ option to complete this method. It will revert back the game to its previous version.
Now, you can check if the SKSE64 not working issue is fixed. Else, try the next solution given below.
Fix 4: Disable the Faulty Mods
After trying all the above troubleshooting hacks, if you see that the problem still persists, then you can disable the faulty mods that might be the reason behind SKSE64 not launching issue. To disable the faulty mods, you can have a look at the below steps:
- First and foremost, open the ‘Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition’ on the system. Select Mods by going to the main menu interface.
- Next, look for the Mods you want to uninstall. You can search for this by going to the Library tab.
- Once you get the Mods that you want to disable, choose that. Afterward, tap on the ‘Disable’ or ‘Delete’ button.
It will immediately disable the selected Mods. Now, check whether the SKSE64 not working concern is fixed.
Time to Conclude
Now, it’s time to conclude this guide. All the 4 solutions discussed above are tried and tested. These have helped several users to get rid of SKSE64 not working issue. We hope, after applying the aforementioned hacks in their appropriate order, it will definitely help you to put an end to this glitch.