Whether you have a fabulous day, a pleasant climate, or walking on a calm road in the evening/morning, or returning home on a bus/train, Bluetooth earbuds can be your all-time partner. It can help you to feel chilled by reducing the surrounding noise. It’s an amazing approach to enjoy your life that can provide you with an amiable commute every day.
But, there are some users who often report that one side of the Bluetooth Earbuds is not working. Most of them are unaware of how to fix Bluetooth earbuds when only one side works. This is quite a common issue faced by several earbuds users throughout the globe.
It doesn’t matter what the price of your earbuds is, a moment will definitely come when you become unable to hear sound from both sides of the device. Once you come across this situation, you might think is there any solution to get rid of this issue.
Sometimes, you might also think you will have to purchase a new one – is the old one becomes totally useless? – No. There are a lot of ways to get rid of this problem. Stay ahead to this guide that can serve you the tricks of this problem you are meeting in your busy days.
There are numerous techniques that can be used as a fix to this issue. Sometimes, it also depends on the type of earbuds you are using. Most of the time, the fixing method of each device varies from one another.
But still, there are some common tricks that can help you to solve queries related to how to fix Bluetooth headphones one side not working. Here in this guide, we are going to provide some easy tips and tricks that can help you to mitigate this problem on your own. So, you are recommended to take a glance at the section described hereunder. So, let’s start.
Before going to know how to fix Bluetooth earbuds when only one side works, you can apply these pre-troubleshooting tips to check if it helps you to solve the issue. So, carefully check the points stated below:
- Once you face this problem, first, remove both sides of the earbuds from your ears. Wait for a minimum of 40-50 seconds. Set the earbuds back into your ear and check whether the issue is fixed.
- Set both sides of the earbuds back into the charging box and close the cover of the box. Wait for at least 1 to 2 minutes and then get it out of the box. Now, set the earbuds once again into the ears to check if it starts working well.
- Turn the Bluetooth off on the device on which the Bluetooth earbuds are paired. Wait for 20-25 seconds and turn it On once again. Now, check if the ‘only one earbud works’ issue is solved.
- After turning Off and On the Bluetooth, if you see that the issue persists, then restart the device connected with the Bluetooth earbud. Once you reboot the paired device, you can check if it starts working well.
- Another important thing is the battery level of the earbud. So, you can check the battery level of the earbud. If you see that the battery level is low, then put them in the charging case. Wait for 2-3 hours and then check if the problem is troubleshot.
- If you haven’t upgraded the earbuds or pair device for a long time, then it also might be the reason behind this issue. So, update the paired device as well as the earbuds. After doing this, you can check if the problem still continues.
- Lastly, you should pair the earbud with another device in order to check whether the issue reappears.
After checking these points, if your query for how to fix Bluetooth headphones when only one side works is still not solved, then you can try the solutions described below.
How to Fix Bluetooth Earbuds When Only One Side Works? [Easy Tips and Tricks]
Sometimes, people face this issue due to problems with the shutter of the Bluetooth earbuds. Moreover, if there is a cut-out or cut-in on your earbuds, then it also can trigger the ‘earbuds only playing in one ear’ issue.
This issue also might arise due to minor annoyance or contemporary choppiness of the audio. Whatever the difficulties occurring with your Bluetooth earbuds, you can fix that by utilizing the hacks discussed hereunder. So, let’s apply the hacks provided below:
Fix 1: Clean the Earbuds and its Charging Terminal
Earwax, lint, or dirt, or another type of trash can swell on your earbuds and that can obstruct the earbud’s speaker grid that can outcome in blockage of audio. This situation can happen to the users who are accustomed to putting earbuds in their bags or pockets after utilizing the set. For further usage, utilizing a case can be a great idea. In that situation, you can clean the speaker grid of the earbuds in order to fix this issue.
Furthermore, sometimes, the charging ends of the earbuds and the charging box can also become stained that may appear in no charging of the unsettled earbuds. Therefore, it may damage the battery of the earbuds. It also might be the reason behind the ‘earbuds only playing in one ear’ issue.
In this situation, cleaning the charging case as well as charging ends of the earbuds can help you to mitigate this problem from its core. You can apply the below steps in order to clean the earbuds and charging terminals of your Bluetooth earbuds:
- First of all, wipe away all the trash from the speaker grid of your earbuds. For this purpose, you can utilize a dry and clean cloth.
- If you see that the earbuds are wet, then you can utilize a microfiber. On another hand, if you see that the earbuds are damp, then you can utilize a dry cloth.
- After that, take a cue-tip in order to clean the critical area of the earbuds. It can help you to remove any debris from there.
- Once you complete the cleaning process of the speaker grids of your earbuds, you can clean the linking point of the charging end placed at the rear of the earbud.
After completing the cleaning process of your earbud, you can check if the problem is solved. After doing this, if you are still looking for how to fix Bluetooth earbuds when only one side works, then move on to the other ways described below.
Fix 2: Set the Stereo Balance for the Earbuds
Nowadays, most advanced devices such as Windows PCs, Macs, and iPhones come with a setting that has the ability to program all the audios to an individual earbud – either right or left. The fundamental objective of this framework is to assist hearing-spoiled users.
But, if unwittingly, you have approved this setting on your device, then the audio will be played only through one side. If this is the case, then you can revert the settings back to their initial state that can help you to play the audio from both sides of the earbud. To do this, you can apply the steps as follows:
How to Fix Bluetooth Headphones One Side Not Working by Setting Stereo Balance for the Earbuds on macOS?
- First, open ‘System Preferences’ on your Mac device. Then, click on the Sound button followed by the Output option.
- As a result, it will open a list of some options. Locate and choose the name of the earbuds you are utilizing from the list of Output devices.
- Next, you will make sure that the slider is in the middle of the R and L points. Then, navigate to the ‘System Preferences’ option.
- Click on the Accessibility button for the Mono Audio tickbox. Scroll down the list until you will get the ‘Mono Audio’ tickbox. Once you get that, untick that immediately.
How to Fix Bluetooth Headphones When Only One Side Works by Setting Stereo Balance for the Earbuds on iPhones?
- First and foremost, open the Settings of your iPhone. Then, navigate to the Accessibility category.
Note: If you are using an old iOS device, then open the General tab after opening the Settings. Then, you will get the Accessibility option.
- Afterward, scroll down the page until you get the Hearing section. Then, click on the ‘Visuals/Audio’ option.
- Make sure that the slider is placed in the middle between R and L.
Note: If you are an old iOS device user, then you will get this option under Hearing.
- After adjusting the slider, look above it. There you will see the ‘Mono Audio’ option. Turn that option off to complete this procedure.
After doing this, you can check if the ‘only one earbud works’ issue is solved. Else, you can perform the other ways given below.
Fix 3: Unpair and Repair the Earbuds
If there are any communication issues between the paired device and earbuds, then it also can result in this problem. If this is the case for you, then you can unpair the earbuds and then repair them in order to troubleshoot this issue.
As earbuds can be connected with more than one device, for illustration purposes, we are going to provide steps only for the iPhone. You can follow the instructions stated below:
- First and foremost, open the Settings application on the iPhone and then tap on the Bluetooth icon.
- On the next page, In the list, locate the ‘i’ icon and once you get that, tap on it. You will find this icon near to the Earbuds.
- Thereafter, tap on the ‘Forget this Device’ option.
- Next, tap on the ‘Forget’ option on all the devices that are paired to the earbuds.
- Lastly, you can pair the earbuds once again as you have done for the first time.
After pairing the earbuds, you can play music to check whether the ‘earbuds one side not working’ problem is fixed. If you are still unable to get sound from one side, then you can reset earbuds to their default settings.
Fix 4: Reset Earbuds to their Default Settings
You can perform a hard reset of the earbuds in order to solve any software or communication problem. If you are still facing problems with the earbuds, then you can perform a hard reset to get rid of this problem.
- In the beginning, you will have to ensure that your charging box is charged.
- Then, set both sides of your earbuds in the charging box.
- After that, open the lid of the charging box.
- Locate the small button placed at the back of the case of the earbuds. You will find this near the bottom of the device.
- Thereafter, press the small button and hold it for a minimum of 20-25 seconds. Ensure that you have to press and hold the button for enough time in order to reset the earbuds.
Note: If don’t hold it for a long time, then it will turn up in pairing mode – not in Reset mode.
- After doing this, you can close the lid of the charging box and then launch it once again.
- Next, bring the box of the earbuds with an open lid near to the iPhone that will identify the earbuds. It will pop-up a small window that asks you to connect them.
- Lastly, connect the earbuds to the device.
Once you see that the device pairs correctly, you can check whether the ‘earbuds one side not working’ problem is solved. If you see that your query ‘how to fix Bluetooth headphones when only one side works’ is still unresolved, then you can apply further ways to solve it.
Fix 5: Reset Settings of the Paired Device
Now, take another pair of earbuds and pair that with your device to check if there are any issues with the paired device. If you see that the other pair of earbuds act alike i.e. only one Bluetooth earbud works at a time, then most possibly there is a problem with the paired device.
In this situation, you can perform a reset of the settings on the paired device. But, don’t delete any vital data. For illustration determinations, we are going to utilize an iPhone – so, you can perform the steps given below to reset the settings of your device:
- Launch the Settings of your iPhone and then go to the General category.
- After that, scroll down the next page to locate the Reset button. Tap on that.
- On the next page, you will get the ‘Reset All Settings’ option. Tap on it. Tapping this button option will not remove any content or data from your iPhone – but, it will customize other settings such as notification settings, volume, and screen brightness. It will revert these settings to their initial stage.
Once you finish the Reset process, you can check if the problem is now solved. Else, you can update the different firmware versions for the earbuds.
Fix 6: Upgrade the Different Firmware Version for the Earbuds
The ‘only one Bluetooth earbud works at a time’ issue can also occur when the firmware of one earbud doesn’t suit another earbud (e.g. right earbud has upgraded its firmware – but, left earbud doesn’t). It will make non-pairing between both the earbuds.
Before doing this, you can check the firmware version of the earbuds from the Settings application. For that, open Settings and go to the General section, Open About tab, and tap on the Earbuds option.
Now, you can check which of the earbuds is using the lower version of the firmware. Then, drop this one correlated to the iPhone and then set the earbuds in the charging box. You can leave the earbuds near the iPhone by turning on the internet connection.
Keep the internet connection active for a minimum of 2-3 hours until it completes the updating process. If you are still facing a problem with the earbuds, then the internal portion of the device might get damaged.
In that case, you can replace them. If it is in the warranty period, then you can contact the manufacturer for the replacement.
Sum up Things
In this guide, we have mentioned 6 foolproof methods that can help you to troubleshoot this problem with ease. But, make sure that you have applied them correctly in their appropriate order as they are given. We hope this guide will be able to put an end to your query for how to fix Bluetooth earbuds when only one side works.