Origin users often report that the Origin client doesn’t respond or Origin won’t open while trying to play their preferred game. Sometimes, it also happens that the Origin is running in the background of the system – but, it can’t be seen on the Task Manager while another time it minimizes into the system tray.
Origin is a popular online gaming platform that lets gamers playing online multiplayer games like Battlefield V, FIFA 19, etc. Besides, it also has a digital shipping platform recognized as the Origin Store. So, you can just utilize your credit card to buy online games for your smartphone or computer from the Origin Store. Apart from this, it also has some social networking features like chat, chats with friends, profile management, and game joining. Recently it has also attached an in-game overlay to this client. They are live gameplay streaming and cloud saving.
However, if you are also struggling with the ‘Origin won’t start’ issue, then you have just arrived at the right page. Here in this guide, we are about to discuss some of the awesome ways that can help you to troubleshoot this issue on your own. So, you are recommended to go through the guide described hereunder.
Know the Reasons Why Origin not Working
Before going into the details on how to fix this issue, you will need to know why is Origin not working. After conducting complete research, we have come up with some points that are known as the causes behind this issue. So, you can take a glance at the probable causes stated below:
- Problems with Origin Updater: Sometimes, Origin updater updates the Origin client by itself. At that time, the Origin client might stop responding as it is being upgraded in the background of the system.
- Damaged Cache Files: It might happen that this issue is directly related to the stored cache files of the Origin client. Sometimes, the cache data also can get stirred and this will trigger the error.
- Distorted Temp Files: Sometimes, the Origin client formulates temp files that assist it to work in a proper way. But, these files could get damaged and create the Origin client to not open.
- Issues with the Core Origin Files: Some issues could also happen with the core running files of the Origin client.
So, these are the probable reasons why won’t Origin open. After knowing these reasons it will also be better for you to solve this issue within a few times. Now, you can perform the solutions given in the next section.
How to Fix ‘Origin Won’t Open’ Issue
There are several ways to get rid of this issue. We are going to address a few of them. You can perform the below hacks in their appropriate order as they are given.
Solution 1: Update the Origin Client
Before going to perform any complicated solutions, you can check whether the Origin updater is renewing the origin client in the background of the system. If you see that the Origin client is running in the background, then it might be causing the ‘Origin launcher not loading’ issue. At that scene, you can try running Origin client by following the steps mentioned below:
- First of all, you will have to launch the Task Manager. For that, move the cursor to the bottom pane of the screen and then right-click on it. Pick the option ‘Task Manager’ from the upcoming menu.
- Once it launches the ‘Task Manager’ window in front of you, start looking for the Origin application.
- After locating the Origin app, you will need to check whether it’s using all of the Internet bandwidth or not. You can check this in the network bar.
- If you see that it is taking too much bandwidth, then the Origin client is upgrading and will require some time to complete the updating process.
Once you complete the updating process, you will be capable to open the Origin client once again. But, if you see that the Origin client is not taking too much or any bandwidth, or if it doesn’t solve the ‘Origin won’t open’ issue, then you can perform the other ways discussed below.
Solution 2: Remove the Origin Cache File
As we mentioned earlier, Origin client formulates cache files to load faster and to store the most frequently utilized data in them. Cache files also check on each startup if it requires those files. If so, then it loads them from the Cache rather than downloading them again.
But, in case the files are not saved, then they will be created automatically. Over time these files could damage. So, removing these corrupted files might solve the ‘Origin won’t open’ error. Here are the steps you can perform to do this:
- In the beginning, exit from the Origin client that is running in the background of this computer. For that, you can get help from the Task Manager window.
- Thereafter, hit the R and Windows key both at the same time from the keyboard in order to launch the Run Command box.
- Next, click on the search bar and type “%ProgramData%”. Then, run it by pressing the Enter key from the keyboard.
- It will navigate you to the ProgramData folder. Thereafter, search for the Origin folder. Once you get that, click twice on that to open.
- On the next page, select all the cache files except the LocalContent folder. Then, tap on the Delete button in order to remove the cache files of the client.
Now, you can exit from the Origin client window. Then, try to launch the Origin client once again to see if the ‘Origin won’t open’ issue is solved. Else, you can delete the temp files of the Origin client.
Solution 3: Remove the Temp Files of Origin
Origin client keeps generating temp files in the AppData folder. Sometimes, these files also could be caused by the Origin app won’t open. Removing these files from the Origin client can help the Origin client to generate fresh files that might resolve this problem. Be default, these files are hidden – so, first, unhide them. You can apply the below steps in order to do this:
- In the beginning, move the cursor to the taskbar and type “folder” in the search bar.
- Then, choose the ‘Show hidden files and folders’ option showing on the search results.
- Go to the Advanced settings category.
- Next, choose the ‘Show hidden files, folders, and drives’ from the next page.
- Tap on the OK button.
- Thereafter, launch the Run command by using the combination of the Win key and R key from the keyboard.
- Now, type “%AppData%” and execute this by pressing Enter.
- Once it opens the AppData folder, remove the Origin folders placed in both the Roaming and Local folder.
Now, close the window and then restart Origin once again to check whether the ‘Origin not working’ issue is fixed. If it still persists, then you can run the compatibility troubleshooter to solve it.
Solution 4: Run the Compatibility Troubleshooter
According to some tech specialists, the ‘Origin won’t launch’ issue also can be solved by running the compatibility troubleshooter. To run this troubleshooter, you can perform the steps stated below:
- First and foremost, right-click on the shortcut icon of the Origin client and then select the Properties option from the list.
- After doing this, move the cursor to the Compatibility tab placed on the upper-right pane of the screen. Locate the ‘Run Compatibility Troubleshooter’ option and click on that.
- Next, tap on the ‘Try Recommended Settings’ option in order to test the program by utilizing the favored compatibility settings.
- After doing this, if you see that the ‘Origin won’t open’ issue still there, then you can run the ‘Program Compatibility Troubleshooter’ once again.
- This time, you can select another option depending based on the issues you are facing.
Thereafter, try to launch the Origin client to check if the ‘Origin won’t launch’ issue is solved. Else, adjust the Settings manually and then tap on the OK button to complete the process. If it still doesn’t solve the problem, then performing a reinstallation of the Origin app is the only way to solve it.
Solution 5: Reinstall the Origin Client
If all the above hacks failed to solve the ‘Origin won’t open’ issue, then you can perform a reinstallation of this app. If you are unaware of how to do this, then you can apply the steps stated below:
- First, launch the Run box and type “control panel” in the input field.
- Tap on the OK option to launch the Control Panel window.
- Afterward, tap on the ‘Uninstall a Program’ from the Programs category.
- Locate the Origin client from the list of options and right-click on that. Tap on Uninstall.
- Now, search for the latest version of Origin client. Once you get that, tap on the Download button.
- After completing the downloading process, click twice on the setup file and then tap on the ‘Install Origin’ option.
- Wait for a few seconds until the process finishes.
Thereafter, you can check if the ‘Origin won’t open’ issue is fixed.
With this solution, we have reached the end of this guide. Make sure that you have applied the solutions in their mentioned order to get the best result. These are foolproof ways that have already helped so many affected users to get rid of the ‘Origin won’t open’ issue. We hope it will also help you to put an end to this bug.