Surface Pro is a tablet cum laptop introduced by Microsoft. This device is also can be considered as a 2-in-1 laptop. When you have forgotten the password of the lock screen and require to log in to the system, performing a factory reset is the only solution.
It is quite easy and simple to perform a factory reset Surface Pro without password. It can also be beneficial when your device is stuck at “resetting your PC 7%”. Sometimes, it also happens that the device is not running reliably and quickly as it works.
It may also meet some system crashes such as the Death or Blue Screen. In these conditions, you can perform a factory reset to get rid of these problems. If you are unaware of how to factory reset a Surface Pro, then you can go through the section described below.
How to Factory Reset Surface Pro Without Using a Password or Recovery Key? [3 Easy Hacks]
Here, we are about to discuss 3 simple hacks that can help you to perform a factory reset on your Surface Pro device. So, let’s have a glance at the methods discussed hereunder:
Method 1: Factory Reset Surface Pro within Windows
You can perform a factory reset Surface Pro 4 without a password from the login screen of the Windows with ease.
For Windows 10:
If you are a Windows 10 user, then you can perform the steps as follows:
- First of all, move the cursor to the left lower panel of the screen and tap on the Start menu.
- Click on the gear-shaped Settings icon located on the Start menu.
- Navigate to the ‘Update & Security’ category and tap on the ‘Recovery’ button.
- Afterward, go to the ‘Reset this PC’ section and click on the ‘Get started’ option.
- Next, choose an appropriate option as you preferred. It will start the resettings process.
Wait for a few minutes until you have completed the factory resetting process. Once it finishes the factory resetting process, it will open the Sign-in screen of your Surface Pro device.
For Windows 8:
If you use Windows 8 Operating System, then perform the steps given below:
- In the beginning, swipe in the screen from the right edge.
- Once it opens the Charms menu, click on the Settings button.
- Next, tap on the ‘Change PC settings’ from the next page.
- After that, click on the Recovery option by going to the ‘Update and recovery’ category.
- It will navigate you to the ‘Remove everything and reinstall’ windows. Tap on the ‘Get Started’ option from there.
- Thereafter, click on the Next button and then select either ‘Fully clean the drive’ or ‘Just remove my files’ option.
- Lastly, click on the Reset button to complete the resetting procedure.
Method 2: Perform the Factory Reset from the Sign-in Screen
Basically, this is an alternative method of Method 1. If the above method doesn’t help you to perform Surface Pro 4 factory reset, then you can try this one.
If you have an external keyboard, then it’s better to attach that to your device before going to apply the steps. But, if you don’t have that, then it’s Ok.
You can also perform a factory reset of your Surface Pro device without a keyboard. For that, turn On the On-Screen keyboard on your device.
Click on the ‘Ease of Access’ icon followed by the ‘On-Screen Keyboard’ option from the login screen of the device.
After turning On the On-Screen keyboard, you can continue with the steps stated below to perform factory reset Surface Pro without password:
First and foremost, press the Shift key from the keyboard and hold it for a few seconds. Go to the right bottom corner of the display and press the Power button by holding the Shift key. Pick the option Restart from the list.
Once the device Restarts, Microsoft Surface will start running in Recovery Mode. On the upcoming page, tap on the Troubleshoot button.
Now, it will transfer you to the Troubleshoot page. Choose the ‘Reset PC’ from there to perform a hard reset Surface Pro without a recovery key.
Click on the ‘Remove Everything’ or ‘Keep my Files’ from the next page. To perform a factory reset of your Surface Pro device without using any password or recovery key, you will have to go with the ‘Remove Everything’ option.
Else, you will be prompted whether you have the admin access or not. For that, you will have to enter the administrator password that you don’t have right now.
Note: Nothing to get worried regarding losing all of your personal files on the Surface Pro device as there are several ways to recover deleted recover files. You can use a data recovery software tool after completing the resetting procedure in order to get back all of your data.
After selecting the option to delete everything from the device, you will get two different options. They are ‘Fully clean the drive’ and ‘Just remove my files’.
Click on the ‘Remove my files’ option as this option can help you to complete the resetting process in a short time. Alternatively, if you choose another option, then that will take a minimum of 1-2 hours time to clean the drive fully.
Note: It is recommended to go with the ‘Fully clean the drive’ option if you are going to sell your Surface Pro device.
Now, it will navigate you to a new page where you will be asked to confirm the resettings action. Once you confirm this action, the Surface Pro device will start the resettings process.
Now, wait till the resetting process bar reaches 100%. It will need a few times to complete the entire procedure. Once it completes, you will be able to log into your Surface Pro device once again without any password.
Hopefully, these steps are enough to solve your queries related to how to factory reset Surface Pro device. If it’s not, then you can move on to the next method given below.
Method 3: Perform Factory Reset by Using USB Device
When the above methods failed to start your Surface Pro device, then you can use a USB recovery drive in order to perform to factory reset Surface Pro without password. But, if you don’t have a USB recovery drive, then you can download the recovery files from the official website Microsoft. You can also download a recovery image for the Surface Pro device from the same website to get a better result.
Note: Making the recovery drive can delete all the files or media saved on your USB drive. So, you will need to ensure that you have transferred important data or files from the USB drive to another storage device before going to start the creating process of the recovery drive.
For Windows 8:
If you are looking for the solutions of how to factory reset Surface Pro for your Windows 8 device, then you can apply the steps provided below:
- First, you will have to ensure that your Surface Pro device is connected to the power outlet – but, the device is turned off.
- Afterward, connect the bootable USB drive to one of the USB ports of your Surface Pro device.
- Press the Power button by holding down the volume-down button. After a few seconds, once the logo of your Surface Pro appears, you can release the Power button.
- Now, you will be asked to choose the Keyboard layout and language. Choose them depending on your preference.
- It will navigate you to the ‘Choose an option’ window. From there, click on the ‘Troubleshoot’ button and then tap on the ‘Reset this PC’ option.
- Next, if you are asked to enter a password or recovery key, click on the Skip button located at the left button of the display.
- Thereafter, choose the target Operating System from the upcoming page in order to start the resetting procedure.
- Click on the Yes button followed by repartition the drives. Then, click on the Next button from the next page.
- Lastly, tap on the ‘Fully clean the drive’ or ‘Just remove my files’ as per your choice to complete the resetting procedure.
For Windows 10:
If you are unaware of how to factory reset Surface Pro on your Windows 10, then you can have a look at the steps stated below:
- First of all, you will have to perform Step 1-5 – the same as Windows 8.
- After doing that, you can click on the ‘Remove Everything’ or ‘Select Keep my files’ as per your choice.
Now, you can check whether the ‘factory reset Surface Pro without password’ procedure is completed successfully.
Hopefully, now, you have no more queries related to how to factory reset Microsoft Surface. But, how to get back the data you have deleted while performing the resettings procedure. Don’t worry – there is a lot of free recovery software or tools available on the Internet. You can download and install any one of them in order to recover all the deleted data of your Surface Pro device shortly.
Sum up Things…
So, these are the ways that can help you to perform factory reset Surface Pro without password. All of the methods discussed in the above guide are tested by verified tech-experts and already have helped so many affected Surface Pro users. But, to get the fruitful results, you will have to make sure that you have applied all the aforementioned steps one by one in their respective order. We hope these steps become helpful to you and you will able to start your Surface Pro device without any problem.