Android devices are capable to send and fetch files utilizing the cloud. These devices also can be connected to the internet over Wi-Fi without any requirements of a wire. But, several Android users like to plug in their devices by using the old fashion way while trying to transfer files.
There are benefits of going with the traditional approach – you will get a faster transfer speed than the wireless connection. But, there are some Android users who often report that their Android phone not showing up on PC.
If you are also struggling with the same problem, then you have arrived at the right page. Here, we are about to discuss some easy ways that can help you to get rid of this issue. So, you can have a glance at the ways discussed under.
What the ‘Android Files not Showing up on PC’ Issue Mean?
Usually, once you connect an Android device to a computer – it immediately treats the device as a Media Transfer Protocol connection. Moreover, it also installs the necessary drivers by itself so that it becomes able to open the File Explorer.
If you rooted your Android device – used it as an emulator for an Eclipse project or Android Studio or installed a new ROM on it, possibilities are you installed the Android Debug Bridge driver.
It will let the computer send commands to the device. But, has the manner of tampering with the conventional MTP settings that will make your device to stop seeming on ‘My computer’. You will need to keep in mind that the Android Debug Bridge is not only responsible to prevent your device from showing up on the computer.
This ‘Android phone not showing up on PC’ issue has a lot of potential reasons and can seem on devices that never utilized the ADB driver. By keeping this in mind, we have prepared some easy solutions that can help you to make your Android device appear on your computer again.
Solutions to Fix Android Phone Not Showing up on PC
Here, we are going to provide 6 easy solutions that can be beneficial to solve this problem. Since the guide holds several troubleshooting ways – it is recommended to start with the first solution and then continue with the other ways to the appropriate solution that works for you. So, let’s start.
Solution 1: Restart both the Devices and Connect the Device in Another Port
After connecting an Android device to your PC, if Android files not showing up on PC – then it should be the first solution before going to try any complicated one. A simple restart can solve a lot of common problems like these.
USB ports of a computer might get faulty with ease – so, usually, it’s best to check whether the same problem arises with another port of the system. Here’s what you can do for that:
- In the beginning, detach the cable from your computer and then restart both the Android devices and PC.
- Once both the devices fully rebooted, you can re-attach the wire. But, this time you will have to ensure that you are using another port.
Now, you can check whether the ‘Android files not showing up on PC’ issue is solved or not. If you see that the issue still persists, then you can move on to the ways described below.
Solution 2: Change the USB Cable
Now, you can check out the chance of a damaged or faulty USB cable. Usually, USB wires don’t break completely – that’s why it’s quite difficult to recognize them as an issue.
If you see properly inside the micro-USB port of your computer, then you will notice there are some gold connectors. They are utilized to charge – but, these also help in transferring data or files when it is connected to an Android device.
It’s suitable for 1 or 2 to change their position or break for the wire to stop working. It may happen that it will proceed to charge – but, it won’t be able to support a file transfer. So, you can perform the following steps to get rid of this issue:
- First, attach the phone to a separate wire and check whether you can see it in My Computer.
- If you are able to see it, then you have solved the problem. But, if the device is not showing on My Computer, then try from a different USB port and listen carefully for the Windows sound that indicates a new connected device.
- If you listen to any sound, most probably you don’t have a hardware problem. So, the ‘Android phone not showing up on PC’ issue might be occurring due to a driver problem.
So, to fix the driver problems, you can perform the further ways stated below.
Solution 3: Update the MTP Driver
If the above methods don’t help you to solve the ‘Android phone not showing up on PC’ issue, then you can check whether you are dealing with a driver issue. You can start checking the driver by ensuring that your computer recognizes the Android device as an MTP device.
For that, first, go to the Start menu and launch Control Panel. Navigate to the ‘Devices and Printers’ category. Locate your Android device name and check whether the MTP connection is working in a proper way.
If you see that your Android device is named by Unspecified or MTP, then you will have to update some drivers to show the Android device on your computer. Luckily, you can update the driver from the Device manager with ease. Here are the steps you can follow to do that:
First and foremost, navigate to the Start menu and then right-click on it. Pick the option ‘Device Manager’ from the menu in order to open Device Manager on your computer.
After that, extend the ‘Portable Devices’ option and check whether your Android device is located there. If you are unable to locate your Android device or if there is any yellow exclamation mark on the name of your device, then right-click on that. Next, choose the ‘Update Driver’ option from the menu.
Note: If you are unable to locate the ‘Portable Devices’, then look for the entry named by ADB.
Now, you will be asked to either browse the system or search automatically for the driver. From here, you will have to click on the ‘Browse my computer for driver software’ button showing as the second option of the menu.
After doing this, it will navigate you to a location box. Tap on the ‘Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer’ from there.
Next, choose the ‘Android Device’ option from the Hardware types list. Thereafter, tap on the ‘MTP USB Device’ in order to select it. Tap on the Next button to start the updating process.
Now, the old driver will be replaced will a new updated driver. Wait for a few times until the updating process completes. Hopefully, your Android device will now be seen in File Manager as a multimedia device. If still, your Android phone doesn’t show up on PC, then reinstall the Android driver by following the next method.
Solution 4: Reinstall the Android Driver
If you don’t have the latest Android drivers installed on your computer, then it also might be the reason behind the ‘Android not showing up on PC’ issue. It also might happen that your drivers are not installed correctly or it has been affected by another service like the ADB. However, you can solve it by reinstalling the Android driver. For that, perform the steps as follows:
- First of all, connect the Android device to the computer and then open the Device Manager once again by following the same steps mentioned previously.
- Next, locate the name of your device by going to the ‘Portable Devices’ tab. If you are unable to locate this tab, then you can check under another device.
- Once you locate the name of your device, right-click on that and then pick the ‘Uninstall’ option from the menu.
- After a few seconds, you will see that your device disappears on the menu. Now, you can detach the wire.
- Thereafter, attach the cable once again and wait for a few seconds until it completes the installation process by itself.
- After completing the installation process, restart the system to apply the recent changes.
Now, you can whether the Android device is showing on your PC or not. Alternatively, you can try the other solutions stated below.
Solution 5: Connect the Device as a USB Mass Storage
There are some Android versions that will allow you to connect as a USB Mass Storage device. It doesn’t use the alike drivers utilized by the MTP connection. It’s alike to connect a flash drive or outer SD card to your computer. Instead of identifying the device like an Android – the system is treating like mass storage volume and will connect it accordingly.
So, you won’t be able to do things like connecting to the device to the computer – but, at least you will be able to transfer files back and forth. Here’s how to do this:
- Open the Start menu and then tap on the gear-shaped Settings icon.
- Then, click on the ‘More Settings’ option from the Settings window.
- Afterward, click on the USB utilities follows by the ‘Connect Storage to PC’ option.
- Click on the ‘Connect Storage to PC’ once again and then tap on the ‘Turn on USB storage’ option.
- Now, wait for a few seconds until it installs the required drivers.
After completing the installation process of the needed driver, you can go to ‘My Computer’ and then check if the problem is resolved. Else, try the next solution mentioned below.
Solution 6: Enable USB Debugging
The solution ‘USB Debugging’ only helps those users who have tested and decompiled applications on real devices. But, since it runs with elevated permission – it might fix the ‘computer not recognizing phone’ issue. To enable USB debugging, you can take a glance at the steps stated below:
- At first, open the Settings application.
- Then, scroll down the list to locate the ‘About phone’ or ‘About’ option.
- Once you locate that, click on the ‘Build Number’ option for seven times.
- After a few seconds, there you will see a new entry named by the Developer Option.
- Tap on the Developer button.
- Now, enable debugging by clicking on the ‘USB debugging’ option.
- Lastly, connect your Android device and agree with the alert that prompts to enable USB debugging on your mobile.
After doing this, you can check whether the ‘Android phone won’t connect to PC’ is resolved.
These 6 solutions are the probable ways to fix the ‘Android phone not showing up on PC’ issue. We hope after applying the aforementioned ways in their respective order you will definitely be able to get rid of this problem.