Avast is a famous antivirus software used by several users throughout the globe. Despite a popular antivirus program, it is not free from random glitches. According to some users, they have come across the issue ‘Avast setup is already running’ while trying to install or uninstall this antivirus program. Sometimes, this issue also comes with the error notification “Setup is already running. Please try to start the setup later”.
When this error occurs the only thing it gives the option ‘View Log’. From the error pop-up window, you won’t get any specific information regarding the issue. Therefore, it’s trouble to be struggling with this problem. So, if you want to get detailed info like causes and fixes, then you can go through the guide described below. Here, we are about to discuss some possible causes and potential fixes of this error that can help you to solve this error on your own.
What Causes the ‘Avast Uninstall Setup is Already Running’ Issue?
Before going to apply the troubleshooting hacks, it is necessary to know the actual causes behind this problem. Knowing the actual reasons can also help you to solve the error within a few times.
There is a file in the Task Manager recognized as ‘instup.exe’. It runs in the background on the background of the system. When you try to end this task, you might get the error message “The operation could not be completed. Access is denied”.
This is one of the major causes behind the ‘Avast setup is already running’ issue. If there are so many corrupted files on your computer, then it can also trigger this error. Well, there are even more causes of why this error could happen.
Whatever the reasons for this problem, it can be solved by performing a few easy tricks. Let’s go through the rest part of this guide to know the solutions to this problem.
Easy Solutions to Fix Avast Setup is Already Running
There are various ways to get rid of this issue. Some of the simplest and easiest ways are explained below. You can perform the hacks one-by-one to check which one can be beneficial for you. So, let’s start.
Fix 1: Deactivate Avast Self-Defense Module
The Avast antivirus program comes with the Avast Self-Defence Module in order to provide the highest level of protection to the malware or virus. Deactivating this module can help you to get rid of the ‘Avast setup already running’ issue. To do this, you can apply the steps given below:
- First of all, click twice on the Avast icon from the Desktop page to launch it.
- Then, navigate to Settings from the User Interface of Avast antivirus.
- After that, pick the ‘Troubleshooting’ option from the list of options.
- Locate the ‘Avast Self Defence Module’ box and untick it from the next page.
- Tap on the OK button and then close the window.
After doing this, reboot the system and then try to update the Avast antivirus program in order to check whether the ‘Avast uninstall setup is already running’ issue is fixed. Else, you can move on to the other hacks we are going to discuss below.
Fix 2: Stop the Process of the instup.exe from the Task Manager
As we mentioned earlier, the instup.exe process also might be the reason behind this problem. So, ending this process might help you to get rid of this issue. For that, you can apply the steps as follows:
- First, move the cursor to the Taskbar and right-click on it.
- Choose the ‘Task Manager’ or ‘Start Task Manager’ option from the menu.
- Afterward, search for ‘instup.exe’ from the next page. Once you get that, right-click on it.
- Next, select ‘End Task’ from the list of available options.
- Thereafter, a window will pop-up and prompt to upgrade the antivirus software.
If it completes the updating process without any problem, then it might solve the ‘Avast setup is already running’ issue. But, if the process failed, then you can run the CHKDSK command to check for the corrupted files.
Fix 3: Run the CHKDSK Command
Due to the presence of the corrupted files on the system, you can also face the ‘cannot uninstall Avast setup is already running’ issue. Running the CHKDSK command can help you to check the corrupted files on your computer. Here are the steps you can follow to do this:
- In the beginning, move the cursor to the bottom left corner of the screen and click on the Start icon.
- Thereafter, type “cmd” or “command prompt” on the search bar. As a result, it will show the ‘cmd’ or ‘command prompt’ option as the search result.
- After doing this, right-click on the ‘cmd’ or ‘command prompt’ option and then choose the ‘Run as Administrator’ option from the list.
- Once it starts running Command Prompt with admin privileges, you can enter the below commands in the command line:
- 1st: C:
- 2nd: Cd\
- 3rd: Chkdsk
- 4th: Testing line
- Run each command one-by-one by pressing the Enter key from the keyboard. Now, it will start searching for the corrupted files.
If there are no corrupted files on your computer, then it will show the message “Windows has scanned the file and found no problems”. But, the system contains corrupted files and that shows on the scanning result, then you will have to fix that first and then you can try to fix the
the ‘Avast setup is already running’ issue.
Fix 4: Eliminate Avast Utility from your Computer
According to some users they have solved the ‘can’t uninstall Avast setup is already running’ issue by uninstalling the Avast utility from the system. You can apply the below steps in order to do that:
- First, launch the web browser installed on your computer. Click on the address bar and enter the address “https://www.avast.com/en-us/uninstall-utility”.
- Hit Enter to open the address you have entered in the search bar. Locate the ‘exe’ file from the site.
- Once you get that, click on the Download button and store it on your preferred location of the system.
- After that, go to the location where you have stored the setup file and click twice on it to open. Thereafter, tap on the ‘Avastclear’ option.
- Tap on the Yes option. As a result, the system will reboot and starts running into the Safe Mode.
- Next, select the appropriate version of the antivirus program and then select the Uninstall option from the menu.
- Click on the Yes button to verify your wish. Once you complete the uninstallation process, close the window.
Now, apply the alterations you have done recently. Afterward, you can check whether the ‘uninstall Avast setup is already running’ issue is fixed. Else, you can repair the Avast antivirus program to solve this problem.
Fix 5: Repair the Avast Antivirus Program
If all the aforementioned ways failed to solve the ‘Avast update setup is already running’ issue, then you can repair the Avast antivirus program. For that, you can perform the steps provided below:
- Go to the Start menu and then launch the Control Panel.
- Click on the drop-down icon of the ‘View by’ option and choose the ‘Large icons’ option.
- Afterward, navigate to the ‘Program and Features’ category.
- Then, tap on the ‘Uninstall a Program’ option from the next page.
- On the next page, you will see all the programs that are installed on the system. Locate the Avast antivirus program from the list.
- Once you get that, right-click on it. Then, select Repair from the list of available options.
As a result, it will begin the repairing procedure of the Avast antivirus program. So, you will have to wait for a few seconds until the process finishes. Once the process completes, exit from the Control Panel. Restart the system and check if the ‘Avast setup is already running uninstall’ issue is solved.
That’s it. All the aforementioned methods are foolproof solutions verified by tech experts that have already helped so many affected Avast users to troubleshoot the ‘Avast setup is already running’ issue. We hope, it will also help you to put an end to this bug.